Air conditioning systems are designed to produce a cooling effect in rooms or cars to improve comfort. They are an essential system at home during hot and very cold months. Below are a few tips to help you choose and maintain an air conditioning system in your home.
To know which system suits you best, decide whether you want the system running in one room or the whole house. Portable air conditioners, window air conditioners, and split air conditioners are suitable for a single room. If you need air conditioning in your entire house, you can get central air conditioners, multi-split air conditioners and ducted air conditioners.
The size of the room primarily determines the size of the air conditioner. However, other factors to consider include the type of room, insulation, and orientation of the windows. A qualified HVAC installer will tell you which size suits you best.
Features of the system
Modern air conditioning systems have an array of features aimed at improving a homeowner's experience. These include:
- Remote controls. These make it easy for you to control the system. You do not have to get up from your seat or bed to adjust the system.
- App control. Some systems connect to your home's Wi-Fi network, and you can control them via a mobile application.
- Sensors. Once a person enters the room, the system automatically turns itself on and directs heated or cooled air towards the person.
- Consider the various fan speeds that the system has. Some have extra functionalities, such as an economy mode and a dry mode that dehumidifies the air.
Consider the running costs of the air conditioner before you purchase it. Most manufacturers abide by strict environmental regulations that demand systems that are energy efficient. You can check its star rating to know how efficient the system is. Units with a high star rating are more efficient than those with a low star rating.
Maintaining the air conditioner
Below are a few maintenance tips you should observe:
- Ensure everyone at home knows how to operate the system. Always shut it down when you do not need it.
- Inspect the filters on a regular basis. Clean or replace dirty and clogged filters as they reduce the system's efficiency.
- Over time, the air conditioner's fans can get bent. Straighten them with a kitchen knife.
- Clean the evaporator coil with an evaporator coil cleaner. Also, regularly clean the evaporator drain.
When buying a cooling system, consider the size, type, running costs, and features of the system.